It’s been way too long and I’m sure there are those who think I’ve left this blog for “dead”!  Not  so. But – the author of said blog is … overwhelmed.

So much has happened, where do I start? So – instead of “just starting where I am” – – I run telling myself I’ll post … “later”. However, here we go, and I am starting “where I am”:  the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.

Ironically it wasn’t really a hurricane when it hit land. As it went by south of us on eastern Long Island, and took aim for the New Jersey coast, we ended up on the “dry” side of the hurricane. Points west of us on Long Island, as well as New York City and New Jersey got a lot more rain than we did. However, this “little storm” was unusual in that it was huge in size because it had combined with a nor’easter. So – in essence – it was a nor’easter with a hurricane in the center. It was also moving horribly slowly, which spread the damage further, and allowed it to last longer, increasing the damage. As we sat in the house during the storm, it clearly *was* windy, but I have been through worse in other storms. But – it still wreaked havoc – much more than Irene, which was last summer’s storm. We were without power for 4 days (much less than many), and had some yard damage.

Due to the full moon and high tide happening at the height of the storm, there was flooding like none that my husband had ever seen in this area. He’s lived here for his entire 66 years, and he was amazed. Had this been a huge rain event, it would have been worse. Burnett Creek – an off shoot of Mecox Bay – over flowed it’s banks and went down our road, drowning a Verizon panel, and making our road impassable to all traffic. We live high off the road, so we were not in any danger of having our basement flood, but I suspect there were those who did have some.

Mecox Bay / Burnett Creek Tidal Flooding
IMG_4365 IMG_4378 IMG_4383
1. Flooding on Flying Point Road in front of our house — taken at high tide in the middle of the storm at about 11 p.m. I took the photo into a car’s headlights who ultimately turned around once he realized the water he’d come upon.
2. The next day I had hoped to take a photo of that flooding on the road at the next high tide, but it didn’t happen, and all the water which had flowed on the road receded. This is residual water that pooled in our neighbors yard across the street from us. They are much lower than us, and wonder if they had basement water. This photo shows our neighbor’s house reflected in the water.
3. This is the Verizon panel that was blown over and then drowned during the high tide flooding. Shows neighbor’s house in the background and the receding waters in their front yard.

We also had some tree damage in our yard – something else which has not happened to us personally in any recent storm:

Cedar Tree down
IMG_4372 IMG_4373 IMG_4376
We planted this tree as a bush back in about 1983, and then had it pruned so that it would grow as a tree. It sort of was “ugly” as it was a little “gangley” – but I was attached to it.IMG_4413 IMG_4409 IMG_4412

A part of a tree broke off (not from the root, but from the bottom of the tree) and landed in the utility wires above – from our front yard. These utility wires do not service us, and I don’t think they actually messed up power to those who they do service, but I’m not sure.

Some very hard working tree workers from Illinois, who were assisting LIPA (our power company), came to remove the tree on day #4 after the storm. At the time we were working was when our power returned, but these lines do not service us – the lines on the other road do (we’re a corner lot). It was interesting to watch them work, as they assume all wires are “hot”, and work with such care, but quickly and efficiently. They laid the tree on the side of the road, and the firewood part of the tree was quickly taken by – someone – leaving the top part to be picked up by the town

Water Mill Beach Club – right on the ocean had a dune breach which pretty much destroyed the club. When Ray was a child his family belonged to the beach club. It was a club mainly for local people – not expensive, rather spartan, with only parking across the street, lockers for each member to leave beach chairs and umbrellas, and an outdoor shower. Since then, it began catering to the summer crowd and built a tennis court, which you can see is destroyed. Flying Point Road was covered in sand and was impassable at the time I took this picture, so I had to turn around there.

I’m so grateful this is over for us, as this could have been very different. There are so many others — mostly in NYC, western Long Island, and NJ who continue to struggle.  My husband and I personally know several who have basically lost everything, or are in the process of evaluating if their homes are a “total loss”.  Some folks had water in their basements – destroying boilers and electric panels.  Unlike these people, we are grateful that we have the opportunity to move forward.